On 25 March 2023, the Ikon Awards held its debut edition in a red-carpet event at Serena Hotel Kampala.
Themed “Dreaming With The Stars”, the event was graced by a number of dignitaries from various fields of the entertainment industry.
Singers like Irene Ntale, Benty Boys Africa, and others performed at the event, which was hosted by Antia Fabiola and Uncle Mo.
Ramsey Nouah, a veteran Nigerian actor and film director who arrived in the nation on Wednesday, took part in the ceremony as well.
The Ikon Awards succeeded in recognizing and honoring game-changers in the Ugandan film and television industry, and more than 25 awards were presented to noteworthy individuals before exhilarated revelers, family and friends.
Designed by Ugandan-based creative house, Addmaya, the accolade takes the form of a locally crafted basked called a ‘Kibo’, a respected ornament in Ugandan culture. With the sun at its center, the accolade symbolizes the harvest of an outstanding level of greatness.
ALSO READ: Hannah Karema Tumukunde Takes Over as Miss Uganda 2023
Have a look at the full list of winners below.
- Best Student Film – Pius (Brian Mukisa)
- Best Documentary – Pius (Brian Mukisa)
- Best Director of cinematography- Naizi Nasser (The Girl in the yellow jumper)
- The Best Visual Effects – The Girl In The Yellow Jumper (Loukman Ali)
- Best Actor in a supporting role – Cosmos Sserubogo (Tembele)
- Best TV series – Prestige (Nathan Magoola)
- Best Director – Kafa Coh (Mirembe Doreen and Gilbert Lukaliya)
- Best Film – Kafa Coh (Doreen Mirembe)
- Best Actor in a Leading Role – Michael Wawuyo Jr (The Girl in the Yellow Jumper)
- Best Actress in a leading role – Nisha Kalema (Bedroom chains)
- Best Screenplay – My Husband’s Wife (Written by Mariam Ndagire)
- Best actress in a supporting role – Rehema Nanfuka (Kafa Coh)
- Best Actress in TV series – Sally Elizabeth Bwamimpeke (Prestige)
- Best Actor in TV series – Allan Kutos Latongole (Sanyu)
- Best Editor – Loukman Ali (The girl in the yellow jumper)
- Best Costume Designer – Bedroom Chains (Irene Sseremba)
- Best Production Design – Rhonnie Nkalubo & Robina Nansubuga (Kafa Coh)
- Ikon Fellow of the Year – Doreen Mirembe (Mama Wange)
- Lifetime Achievement Award – John Winston Katende
- Best Ikon Rising Star – Tuyi Mariserena
- Best Emerging Film – Foot Wine
- Best Animation Film – No Way Out (Mulima Ashraf)
- Best Short Film – Sixteen Rounds by ( Loukman Ali )
- Best Sound – The Girl in the Yellow Jumper (Quad A)
- Best Makeup and Special Effects – Shakirah Kibirige (Kafa Coh)